Laser Vibration Analysis
L&S Electric has enhanced its vibration analysis capabilities to include non-contact laser measurement. This innovative technology allows our experienced technicians to detect bearing vibration in difficult-to-reach areas and brings you greater cost savings.
Laser Vibration Analysis helps us detect areas of potential failure on your critical equipment before failure occurs. There is no need for special coatings or retro-tape as with contact transducers, which can be especially troublesome and costly when the bearings are in hazardous or obstructed operating areas (as with back-side dryer bearings in paper mills). Clean surfaces, however, provide the best results.
Innovative Sensor Equipment
- We provide high-quality measurement data in a broad range of operating conditions.
- We can collect data as far away as 660 feet (200 m).
- High ambient temperatures, steam, and vibration do not interfere with our ability to give you accurate, quantitative measurements.
- The dimensions and weight of the sensor equipment are nominal, allowing our technicians to transport it easily throughout your plant.
- Our experience assures you of reliable and repeatable results.
Vibration Analysis Program
The Inexpensive Alternative to Run-to-Break Maintenance
There are several things that should be done on a routine basis in order to make sure that your machinery is not only running well now, but that it continues to run for the foreseeable future. One program that should be incorporated into this regular maintenance routine is Vibration Analysis. At L&S Electric, we take care of this maintenance for you and customize any program that's necessary to your specific needs.
What are some of the benefits of doing vibration analysis and why should you consider making this a regular part of your routine maintenance?
First, vibration analysis allows us to detect any problems that may be occurring well in advance. This can not only help you to make any adjustments needed before any major problems begin to occur, it can also alert you to the fact that some repair is going to be needed so you can schedule any downtime that’s necessary to avoid major setbacks. Additionally, understanding that these problems are occurring, even though they may not yet be evident to you as the operator or owner of the equipment helps you to make the changes before anything catastrophic happens to the machinery.
Another reason why vibration analysis may be able to assist you is because it can make a difference in the efficiency of your equipment. At times, major repair work is not going to be necessary and you may find that vibration analysis simply recognizes some small changes need to be made in the form of adjustments to the machinery that boosts your efficiency immediately. It also helps to save you money – it’s a lot less expensive to fix a problem when it’s in its early stages than to repair or replace a piece of machinery because it failed completely.
We not only do vibration analysis, we have an entire process that includes multiple steps to your benefit. One of the first steps in this process is getting any information that’s needed so that we understand the equipment that we are analyzing and your specific information as a customer. We also gather information from you so that we can detect any problems occurring immediately instead of having to analyze the information off-site to provide you with more details.
If problems are recognized during the vibration analysis process, you will be informed of any issues that we saw during the time of the analysis itself. We may make recommendations during that time as to what can be done, but more detailed recommendations and a list of priorities will be given to you after further review of the vibration analysis. You will then be able to schedule any time necessary to fix the problem with your equipment, perhaps even scheduling it during a time when the equipment is idle to make it as cost-effective as possible.
L&S Electric provides Complete Predictive Maintenance Programs customized to your specific needs to diagnose early stages of defects in rotating equipment before catastrophic failure or unscheduled downtime occurs. Your machine quality improves and you realize greater efficiency, drastically reducing your maintenance costs.
Our Program Involves a Step-By-Step Process That Includes the Following:
- Gathering general information on your company and equipment. We enter this information into our database and build a company history file.
- Collecting and analyzing your data for immediate problem detection. Our experienced professionals collect vibration data using state-of-the-art equipment, including SKF and CSI Analyzers, a Multi-Channel Signal Analyzer, and an Ometron VS-100 Laser Vibrometer for non-contact analysis.
- After all the available data are collected, we analyze overall levels and spectra for any discrepancies in displacement, velocity, or acceleration. These results are kept on file in our database.
- Any problems are recorded and immediately reported to you along with our recommended corrective action.
- We compile a full report that may include all data measurements, spectrum, and trend charts. Available in this report are
- A priority list, with recommendations listed in order of importance and
- A customer response section. By encouraging our customers to inform us of their plans before the next shutdown or before our next scheduled PMP, we can make better recommendations for the following scheduled PMP.
Did You Know?
Vibration analysis is useful for all types of rotating equipment, including the following:
- Paper machines
- Generator sets
As one of our Predictive Maintenance Programs (PMP), vibration analysis provides a method to help diagnose early defects in rotating equipment before a catastrophic failure.
Using a consistent PMP helps improve the quality of your equipment, providing greater efficiency, and drastically reduce your maintenance costs.
Vibration analysis is useful for all types of rotating equipment, including:
- Paper machines
- Generator sets
Provide safe access to hard-to-reach bearings
Permanently-mounted vibration analysis hardware brings the vibration signal to a safe collection site in situations where bearings cannot be physically or safely accessed.
- Provide continuous overall vibration/temperature monitoring on critical equipment with a 4-20ma loop power system.
- Tie signals into your data control system allowing you to monitor your equipment’s health 24/7.
- Set alarms to warn of rising vibration/temperature levels or to shut the unit down.