L&S Electric’s Governor History
In the mid-1980s, L&S Electric began its revolutionary approach of retrofitting obsolete proprietary governors with solutions based on commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) equipment, such as programmable logic controllers and industrial hydraulic equipment. From 1998 through 2002, L&S greatly enhanced its engineering staff by hiring several Woodward hydro governor industry experts. From 2000 to 2005, L&S developed pre-engineered mechanical and hydraulic governor equipment such as EHI (electric hydraulic interface), high-volume main distributing valve (400 to 15,000 liter/min), high flow pump unloader valve, air over oil upclosing float valve, low-pressure accumulator / HPU instrumentation, kidney loop filtration system, MOST (mechanical overspeed system) and SSG (Speed Signal Generator).
In 2007, the industry-leading LS-MRT 1.0 (multiple runner type) pre-engineered, configurable hydroelectric governor controller was released. In 2008, we finished the design of our IEEE compliant, pre-engineered N-Series governor hydraulic power unit (HPU) designs to cost-effectively meet the needs of the hydroelectric industry. Next-generation LS-MRT 2.0 was released in 2012. The L&S Electric LS-AGS (advanced governor system) hydroelectric governor was released in 2018.
Hydro Plant Governor system challenges and solutions
- Typical challenges
- Unscheduled downtime due to unreliable obsolete equipment
- Replacement parts are expensive or not available
- Systems do not meet current regulatory agency performance requirements
- Older technology does not have adequate diagnostics for effective troubleshooting
- L&S solutions
- With over 30 years of experience, L&S Electric is one of a few full-service companies that can offer a complete design, system integration, and service of Governor control, mechanical and hydraulic systems for small to large hydro plants.
- Since the early 1980s, we have supplied digital hydraulic governor products and services for over 750 hydroelectric generating units, ranging in size from 75 kW to 600 MW
- With a staff of over 60 engineers, designers and manufacturing personnel dedicated to Power Control Solutions with expertise in Control, Electrical, Mechanical, and Hydraulic Systems
- Our designs have always been based on commercial-off-the-shelf open architecture hardware that provides a flexible and cost-effective alternative to proprietary systems.
- Designed with proven technologies and validated IEEE models that meet or exceed industry standards and regulatory agency requirements.
- User-friendly interfaces include advanced monitoring and control features.
- Extensive diagnosis allows you to service equipment down to the module level with your in-house resources.
- Complete line of governor main distributing valves (200 to 15,000 L/min)
- Pre-engineered hydraulic power units designed specifically for hydroelectric governor applications.
- Entire governor system (controller and hydraulics) are fully tested and simulated in-house lab per IEC-60308 and ASME-PTP-29
- Knowledgeable staff that takes the time to understand your specific situation and recommend practical, cost-effective solutions.
- All backed by Legendary L&S service!
Service & Quality
- Dedicated project team and PMI methodology ensures solutions are delivered on time and budget
- Design, manufacturing and integrated factory testing all under one roof to allow for efficient, high quality, controlled solutions
- Certified to ISO 9001 Quality Management Standards
- Manufacturing facility is certified to UL® 508
- Committed to our customers with Legendary Service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
Value & Reliability
- Focus on the total cost of ownership
- Designs are based on commercial-off-the-shelf open architecture hardware that provides a flexible and cost-effective alternative to the proprietary systems
- Cost-effective spare parts that are available via multiple channels
- Designed with proven technologies and validated IEEE models that meet or exceed industry standards
- User-friendly interfaces include advanced monitoring and control features
- Built-in diagnostics allows equipment to be serviced down to the module level with in-house resources
Hydroelectric Turbine Digital Hydraulic Governor Systems
- Governor Controllers
- LS-AGS Advanced Governor System Controller
- LS-MRT Configurable Governor Controller
- Customer Specific Governor Systems
- Governor Hydraulic Power Units
- LS-N Series HPU
- LS-S Series HPU
- High Flow Pumping Systems
- Governor Main Distributing Valves (MDV)
- LS-15000 15,000 liter/min
- LS-7500 7,500 liter/min
- LS-2000 2,000 liter/min
- LS-400 400 liter/min
- Mechanical Rate Limiters
- MDV Bushing and Plungers
- Governor Mechanical Field Devices
- EHI Electric Hydraulic Interface
- MOST Mechanical Overspeed System
- Air Over Oil Accumulator Upclosing Float Valve
- Low-Pressure HPU Instrumentation
- Kidney Loop Filtration System
- Governor Feedback Devices
- SSG Speed Signal Generator
- PT Interface Module
- Gate and Blade Position Assemblies
Value-Added Governor System Services
- System modeling, model validation
- Governor system configuration
- Installation Engineering
- Mark up of existing customer drawings (by hand or electronically)
- Specify cabling for scope of supply
- Installation wiring to/from list (Excel spreadsheet)
- Customer witness testing at L&S Electric Factory
- Customer training services at site or in factory
- Turnkey installation/removal services – utilizing local contractors and L&S Electric supervisor
- Recommended spare parts
- Customizable after-sale service contracts